Tuesday, April 12, 2011

IPF Symposium

By: James Harper
Seminarian, First Theology


The Institute for Priestly Formation held a symposium at St. Charles Seminary from the 17th to the 20th of March.  The symposium was a great opportunity for the seminarians to experience a taste of the IPF program for what it is as well as for a break from the standard track of studies at the seminary.
James Harper (front right) with other seminarians and Fr. Rafferty during the IPF Summer  Program


Logistically speaking, each day of the symposium held two conferences, one in the morning with a second in the afternoon.  Other trademarks of the IPF program were present with evening opportunities for Eucharistic Adoration and healing prayer.  The theme for the symposium at St. Charles was Good Shepherd:  Living Christ’s Own Pastoral Authority which reflected upon the integration of spirituality with the pastoral duties of a diocesan priest. 


As one of four Allentown seminarians to have been on IPF’s summer program in Omaha, I had a particular connection when the program came to St. Charles.  Furthermore, my seminary responsibilities as technical coordinator led me to a frequent interaction with the same staff from my summer experience.  All in all, these conditions led me to a great personal reflection and connection with my previous experiences from last summer.  With the symposium at the seminary, I found it a blessed experience to have reflected upon my spiritual growth during and since the summer program.  It was also comforting to find the symposium was well received at the seminary and that my peers who did not attend the summer program were also able to benefit from an institute that does so much to benefit priestly formation.

No comments:

Post a Comment